Thursday, November 17, 2005

My first Tornado warning




My university is one of the very few universities in US to have a TV station and a radio station attached to it.I work as a student worker in the radio station which is in the basement of our building.


I mostly do archiving work which is basically at nights or sometimes i do reporting if i get time duing the day. It was yet another boring monday night and i was recording some stories onto a cd. At around 10.15 pm a alarm goes on, really loud.Being pretty much new to the place i didn't know what was happening, so i carried on with my work. Then after 10 min ( this thing was really loud i had to do something ) i came out of the room and checked for this really loud sound. I saw a small box something like a radio which kept saying warning tornado warning..." i was like what Tornado Wow !!! this is going to be fun. There was nobody around and i did not know what to do. I went out to the rooms outside and knocked the doors checking for people. One lady was still in her office and she came with me to check what was happening. I told her that this alarm has started saying severe weather for the Carbondale ( this is the place where i stay ) and other surrounding areas. She went upstairs checked with the TV station guys if they had recieved any warning. She came down and told me that the weather conditions had been such that there are chances of a tornado striking this city.
I had access to the TV news room which has all the equipment and the cameras. I told myself man this is the time, if a tornado hits take the camera and go out. But then luckily or unluckily nothing much happened. Everybody was very calm and said that this sort of alerts are quite commmon but is very rare for a Tornado to actually hit this city. I finished my work and went back home. The lady told me that where ever you are if you hear a sound as if a train is approaching just run to the basement of the building. I was awake all night....i waited ...for it to come but it never came. It rained heavily with strong winds and the severe weather continued till the next day. These rains changed the temprature. From hot days we are going to subzero tempratures. The winter has arrived.

2 comments:

Roshomon said...

CAn't believe that you were actually waiting for a tornado...coz it will make a good news story...crazy man!!

thorswheels said...

Its like Aaj Tak in US:

Deepak: Aap dekh rahen hai...yeh toofan mere ore aa raha hai...garajte badal...baraste paani...ab yun aya...jhapaak...

*@#******!&&^^% (Sound of static)

Anchor: Deepak!!!.....E Depak...Deepakwa re.. kaa hua? Jinda hai kya?